Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Monday Made It with a Whole Brain Teaching Tuesday Twist

Yes, I know it's Tuesday, but I'm still linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It. Tara had a guest blogger yesterday: Courtney from Ramona Recommends. She wrote about some really great Made-Its. You should definitely check it out! I especially love her Monday Made It #4. She made a really cute pencil notepad. What a cute beginning of the year gift to new teachers!

I didn't have a chance to post a Monday Made It yesterday, but when I saw something amazing at Target last night, I knew I could combine Monday and Tuesday. Thus, Monday Made It with a Whole Brain Teaching Tuesday Twist is happening.

Up first:


A beautiful Whole Brain Teaching Scoreboard! AH! I'm so excited!


All you need for this project is a ruler, yard stick, or other straightedge, the chalkboard (from Target in the dry erase supplies aisle---I did not find it in the new school supplies section), and neon dry erase markers or fun colored chalk. The chalk board comes with a chalk marker and a hook to keep it attached, so maybe I won't lose it?


I found these neon dry erase markers in the dry erase aisle at Target as well. They don't really wipe off of this chalkboard like they would on a white dry erase board, but they work. They show up well and won't wipe off easily, so they were perfect for the lines and writing I didn't want to wipe off everyday.


For the tally marks, I'll use the chalk marker that came with the board. It comes off easily when wiped off, so it will work for great for the points that will be erased every afternoon. And of course the handy-dandy clip on the top holds it very nicely.


So, you might be asking, "What is this scoreboard for? How are you going to use it? How are the points awarded? What is a 'Mighty Groan' and 'Oh Yeah!'"

Well, now that you have enjoyed Monday Made It, welcome to Whole Brain Teaching Tuesday!

The Whole Brain Teaching Scoreboard is a motivational tool to help students pay better attention and to buy in more to the WBT system.

One one side of the board is a frowny face and "Mighty Groan" and on the other side has a smiley face and "Oh Yeah" (or "Mighty Oh Yeah," I just didn't have room to write "mighty" all nice and pretty).

When students follow a procedure correctly, you give them a point on the smiley side. But it doesn't end there. You give them "a one second party." I typically tell my kiddos to give me an "Oh yeah!" They give me a powerful "Oh yeah!" and pump their fist in the air. Then, we are moving and grooving again with the lesson. It's just one second, y'all, and they can get out a little energy and loudness in the process. It's fabulous, people!

However, we all know that students don't always follow the procedures we set in place to a T, so we have the frowny side. Were your students too loud getting into line? Did your students not follow the "Class/Yes" procedure? Give them a point under the frowny face, and ask them for a "Mighty Grown." They loudly groan while you put the point on the board.

Typically, I give my students a chance to redeem themselves by asking them to try the procedure again. If they do it well the second time, they get a smiley point and a one second party.

When using the scoreboard, you do want to keep the amount of smiley points and frowny points within 3 points of each other. You don't want your students to become accustomed to receiving either kind of points too much. If they get used to getting all smiley faces, they will start to slack off on their procedure following abilities. On the other hand, if they get too used to receiving frowny faces, they will become resentful, and not want to please their teacher.

I used the scoreboard for only a short time at the beginning of last year as I was introducing my procedures. I struggled finding a place to keep the scoreboard so that it was easily accessible, but also visible. After my students became proficient with my procedures, I kind of let it go. I wish I hadn't done that, but that's what happened. 

I'm hoping that having this amazingly beautiful scoreboard in a particular place (and still moveable if necessary), that I will use this consistently throughout the year. 

Just one more picture of this beauty! EEEKKK! I'm so excited!


For more information about the Scoreboard or Whole Brain Teaching in general, click here.


6 comments:

  1. Love the cuteness of your board. I bet your class with be even more motivated this year!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip about the markers. I've seen them and wondered how they'd work on a chalk surface.

    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scoreboard is something I have yet to take on. You make me want to give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! The Scoreboard will change your classroom!! No Color Changes and No Clip Chart needed! So simple and so powerful! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to following your blog!!

    ReplyDelete