Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thrifty Thursday- Easy Alphabet Center

Welcome to Thrifty Thursday. I like thrifty, and I really like Thursdays. You want to know why I really like Thursdays…because it's FRIDAY'S neighbor!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Today, I'm linking up with Greg from The Kindergarten Smorgasboard. Go check out his Thrifty Thursday for another super easy and cheap center activity.

Anywho, today is Thrifty Thursday, and I have something for you that is super cheap and super easy to make! 

Ready? Here it is! Letter/Rice bottles!


All you need for these cute and fun bottles are a couple clear plastic bottles that are clean and totally dry inside. This is extremely important because you are putting rice into the bottle, and there is nothing worse than rice getting wet on accident. YUCK! Anyway, you need a couple of bottles, some rice, some letter beads, and some glue.




My mom recycles plastic, so I just rummaged in the recycle bin and found several bottles and tops. I had some rice in the pantry, and the glue was left over from another project (actually from Monday Made It). The only thing I had to buy was the letter beads. I found them on Amazon. I actually bought several packs because I have plans to use them in many different projects. The beads only cost $3.28. WHAT?!?! This entire project only cost $3.28 because I already had most of what I needed! Don't you just love projects like that?

So, here's how I made my super cute, super easy, super inexpensive, and super fun letter/rice bottles. 

First, get the bottles and make sure you have tops for them. Of course, make sure the inside of the bottles are totally and completely dry. Then, grab a funnel and start pouring some rice into the bottles.



I put about two funnels full of rice in before I started putting in the beads. I made sure that each bottle had the full alphabet (A-Z) twice.



Then, I put in some more rice. I actually put in too much rice. My advice is to only fill the bottles about two-thirds of the way so there is still room to shake it.


Once I got the full alphabet twice into the bottle and filled it with rice, I realized I still had a ton of letter beads left over. I didn't really want to have to put them away, so I just put half of the rest of the letters into each bottle.


I haven't glued the top to the bottles, yet, but I will as soon as I can find my glue. I will use the Glass, Metal, and More glue I used a few days ago for my Monday Made It test tube math, but you could just as easily use hot glue.

There you have it, folks, a super cheap and easy center! Have fun making your's!

2 comments:

  1. This is on my summer "make it" list! Love the colored beads! I've only seen white ones in the craft stores.

    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the link to Amazon above. I really like these beads; they're very colorful and just the right size for all of my bead projects. They are $3.28 for a pack of 250, so they are cheap, too! They do ship from China, so you don't get them super fast, but I think mine came within 5-6 days of me ordering them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

      Delete