Thursday, June 11, 2015

Weekly Reading Wednesday-Teaching with Intention Chp. 2

Welcome to the second week of the Teaching With Intention book study hosted by Greg from The Kindergarten Smorgasboard.


I have to say, I am so glad that he chose this book. It's a very easy read, but it's so much more. It has really reinforced my thinking about making sure that my teaching and the activities I present have a purpose. I highly recommend this book to any teacher at any grade level. There are many things that can be taken away and applied to any teacher's classroom.

This week's hosts are


Mrs Dailey's Classroom


The Primary Gal


Photobucket

On to my thoughts on Chapter 2: Defining Beliefs and Aligning Practice.

This chapter is all out one's beliefs about teaching, learning, and education in general. Debbie begins by writing about her beliefs, which in turn made me begin thinking about my beliefs. Of course, I have my beliefs about education, but sometimes I feel like I lose track of my beliefs because it gets so busy. We have state mandates, district mandates, school/principal mandates, and sometimes if feels like my own professional thoughts get a little lost in there. Debbie suggest actually posting your beliefs in your classroom…I love that thought! I have a little window into my closet/office (cloffice if you will) behind my "hub" (teacher table/desk area). I think it is a perfect place to post these beliefs so that I can just look up and remind myself of them whenever I feel the need. YAY!

So you might be asking, "Well, Laura, what are your beliefs?" Debbie says that it took her about a year to really chisel out her beliefs, so I don't want to say that these beliefs of mine are set in stone. Over the next year, I plan to really focus on them and maybe change the wording a bit to get them exactly the way I want them, but for now…here they are:

1. I believe that every student is a learner and it is my responsibility to facilitate their learning. I believe that giving students choices in their learning helps them to take ownership of it allowing me to be only a facilitator or a "guide on the side."

2. I believe that students learn best by collaborating and working with others. They often learn just as much, if not more, from their classmates than from me.

3. I believe that everything I do and say helps mold my students into who they are and who they will become.

4. I believe that assessment should guide my instruction.

5. I believe in purposeful and authentic learning activities including as many real world applications as possible. I believe that the more students can connect their learning to their lives, the more they will take away.

6. I believe that students retain more of their learning when many styles of learning are incorporated into the lesson.

Now that I have (roughly) defined my beliefs, I must align my classroom practices with them. This means everything…like EVERYTHING! My work is cut out for me, that is for sure. My goal this summer, and this school year, will be to closely examine each piece of my classroom practices to be sure they align with my beliefs about teaching and learning.  As Debbie says, "Nothing is sacred."

Of course, I expect to find practices in my classroom that don't align with my beliefs. My job then is to decide whether my belief or the practice itself flawed, and whether I need to change my belief or change the practice. I know this won't be easy, but I'm really looking forward to a year of "defining my beliefs and aligning my practices" to become a better teacher for my future students.


No comments:

Post a Comment